Monday, August 29, 2011

An Open Letter to Delta Air Lines


August 20, 2011

Melissa Lee
Bellaire, MI 49615

Mr. Richard H. Anderson, CEO
Delta Air Lines, Inc.
P.O. Box 20706 Atlanta, Georgia 30320-6001

Dear Mr. Anderson:

Your company needs to get it together; and I don’t mean straighten your shirt, brush off the dirt kind of “get it together.” I’m talking about the going to rehab, kicking the habit, changing your life around kind of “get it together.”

I understand that the entire air line industry follows a business plan that was drafted by doped-up chimpanzees, but all of my negative traveling experiences have been a direct result of your company, therefore you are who I am addressing this complaint to.

First of all, you charge me an ungodly sum of money for a round-trip ticket from Michigan to California where you proceed to provide me with a seat that was designed with an oversized toddler in mind. But before you even let me board the plane, you inform me that, in an attempt to greedily pocket some more money from consumers, you have overbooked my flight and would really appreciate it if I elected to take a later flight. I would appreciate it if you stopped jerking me around and gave me what I paid for – a flight to California at the specific time I selected from your limited options.

After finally boarding the plane and taking off, your crew informs me that my five hour flight does have meal service…if I want to pay $10 for a ham sandwich. Are you freaking kidding me? I just emptied my checking account to purchase a ticket for a remarkably small seat on your outdated air craft and you can’t allocate some of the money I handed over to your company to provide me with a crappy ham sandwich? No worries, I’ll just nibble on the single peanut you package for passengers as a “complimentary” snack.

Compared to what your air line put me through on my return trip though, these complaints are nothing. After agreeing to a four hour layover in Minnesota, Delta proceeds to “lose” my flight. I was made to walk between three different gates in an hour’s time because there wasn’t any room for our plane. When I asked the attendants at the final gate about the flight (that was scheduled to take off in one hour, and still had an “On Time” status), they looked at me like I was high. No one knew our flight even existed.

I will give credit to your crew at that desk; they were able to figure out what was going on after making some calls and we only landed a half-hour after our scheduled time in Michigan. The fact that this even happened, however, is not okay. It put your employees in an uncomfortable position, having to tell fifty irritated, tired passengers that they had no idea what was going on, and I didn’t spend my hard earned money to be jerked around like that.

I understand that in the grand scheme of things, my problems with your company are small peanuts, but if a customer is unhappy with a company, I believe it’s a disservice to both if the customer doesn’t speak up.

I’m not looking for money or vouchers to “make up” for my inconvenience; quite honestly that’s the last thing I care about at this point. The best reimbursement you could provide to me and the thousands of others who feel like they have been wronged by your company is to do better. Run your business in a way that shows your passengers how much you value them and the fact that they chose to spend their money on you, especially in an economy like this.

Be a leader, go against the corrupt grain of the air line industry and treat your passengers the way they deserve to be treated. I guarantee you will make more money in the long run when people notice a change like this and start choosing your company for their travel needs. Until that day comes, I will be spending my hard earned money with an air line company that can show me how much it values my business – even if it means paying a couple hundred dollars more for a ticket.

I hope that some day we will be able to do business again…

Sincerely,

Melissa Lee

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;